Friday, October 13, 2006

The price of perfection




I have 2 expensive watches – Tag Heuer & Omega. Let me clarify that never in my right mind would I pay so much for a watch – these are my dads. Sometime early this year the Omega started acting up. It started running quicker by about a minute a day. I ignored it at first but then every week it would be offset by 5 mins! That’s quite a bit. So I figured maybe its time to do some sort of service on its mechanism. Till then I shifted to the Tag. Now after a while I noticed the same problem with the Tag! Strange.

At first I began conjuring theories on why this is happening only to the watches I wear. I figured I may have an inherent magnetic field strong enough to alter the mechanisms of anything around me if exposed to me for a significant continuous time period. A little warped I agree – but I did consider it.

Sometime back, I was at HajiAli and noticed the Authorized service centre for all these swiss brands so I decided to quiz them on my issue. I told him about my problem. The conversation was such

Sales dude – Sir, yours is an automatic watch while regular watches are all quartz. Automatic is far superior technology
Me – Then how come its showing the wrong time
Sales dude –Sir, your watch is 99.9% accurate
Me – So whats quartz? 100% ?
Sales dude – No sir, you are probably comparing your watch with your home clock, car clock etc..those are all quartz and those watches are wrong. Your watches are accurate – its just that the world is dominated by quartz watches hence it seems like your watch is the wrong one.

Interesting explanation. For a brief moment I thought that was the price one has to pay for perfection. But on giving it some more thoought - What crap!. My watch just needs to be serviced – Its been with me for almost 5 years dammit. And I know I’ve not been running on the wrong time for the last 5 years!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahah. Btw, i see i have not been mentioned about being an awesome host! Anyways, abhishek quizzed me during karan's party about the bill on his bday. hahah..he couldnt believe how many shots he had "apparently" bght. I think all credit goes to you.

Manu

2:53 AM  
Blogger Monu said...

Manu sweetheart - will definitely put that post on DxB soon.

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you DO blog!! thought u were just mistaking picture stories (ref post:Lonavala) fr blogging..not bad ya..:)good stuff ..
came here bcoz of a very very slow afty in office.
Kata

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home